This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Monday, April 25, 2011

4/23/2011

Training schedule says I will do: OFF
 
I actually did:  3.63 miles*

*5.13 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1 extra mile for pushing the jogging stroller and 1/2 extra mile for sweating through 2 layers of clothes

Days to go until the marathon: 155

Miles to go until 1000: 882.92

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No

This was the first run in a long time where I pushed the jogging stroller . . . it makes it a lot harder!!

On today's run, I was thinking about technology.  When I first started training for my first 10k, I didn't even have a stopwatch.  I had to remember the time it was when I left home, then look as soon as I got home, and figure out about what my pace was.  This didn't last long, I soon invested in a stopwatch from Target and could time my runs precisely.  Then when I would get home, I'd map the run on www.walkjogrun.net and enter my time and see what my pace was.  It also would tell me how many calories I'd burned . . . it was always very exciting to see exactly how far and how fast (or not fast, as was more often the case) I'd gone.  Now, I run with a GPS watch.  I love it, but it takes some of that fun out of it because I get instant feedback.  I can see at any time what my pace is and how far I've gone.  


But recently, I've been doubting the technology a little bit.  I think it overall is accurate, and most of the time it says I'm going at about the pace I think I'm going.  But there are times I feel like I'm going slow, but it will tell me I'm running at a sub-10 or even sub-9 minute mile.  And other times I feel like I'm traveling at a decent pace, but it will tell me I'm going at a 12+ minute mile.  (On today's run, for instance, it told me I was going at a 9:10 minute mile for awhile, which would be way faster than I've ever run with the jogging stroller before.)  And the other day, the map of the run it created when I downloaded the information was wrong (for the last 0.75 miles).  Just blatantly wrong.  That's the first time that's ever happened!

For the most part I love my technology.  As I said, I love my GPS watch.  And (obviously, if you've been paying any attention at all), I LOVE my ipod shuffle and am pretty sure I couldn't run without it.  I also love my cell phone, another feature on my daily runs.  And sometimes I run carrying my pager when I'm on call -- ok, that's a piece of technology I could live without.  But perhaps I'm getting too dependent on it?  Not that I plan to change anytime soon . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment