This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Monday, April 11, 2011

4/10/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 8 miles

I actually did: 8.11 miles*

*9.61 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1/2 mile for sweating through 2 layers of clothing and 1 mile for hills

Days to go until the marathon: 168

Miles to go until 1000: 914.4

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No

On today's run (which was gloriously sunny), I thought a lot about a chance encounter I had last night.  My husband and I took our son and dogs for a walk around our neighborhood.  It was the first nice day/evening in several days and it seemed our whole neighborhood was out for a walk, and we ran into someone who was a very close friend of mine in high school, but with whom I'd lost touch over the years.  It was really great to see her and meet her husband and 2 kids.  I kept thinking about her and how much our friendship meant to me back in the day, and how sad it was that we lost touch . . . I can't even remember how that happened (I guess that's how it always is when you lose touch with someone).  But I am so excited to have run into her and to have the opportunity for her to be part of my life again!

I also spent some time on this run thinking about what makes someone a runner.  I think it wasn't until I was in the middle of training for my second half marathon that I actually felt like I could call myself a runner.  And now since my training has only just begun again, I feel like I have to say I'm a runner*, with the * that I took time off and am just now getting back into it.  But even though there's the asterisk there, I like being a runner.  I bond with other runners when it happens to come up in random conversation.  If a patient mentions they are starting to run or training for something, we spend several minutes of their visit discussing it.  I feel a kinship to those I pass on my runs (and I always wonder how far are they going?  How far have they gone?  Where did they get those cute running pants?).  I once used this phrase to describe motherhood, but I think it fits here too: it's like all along there was a secret club that I never knew existed, and suddenly I have the secret handshake.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment