This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Thursday, April 14, 2011

4/13/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 60 minute run

I actually did:  59:17 minutes/ 5.17 miles*
*6.045 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1/8 mile for darkness and 3/4 mile for sweating through 3 layers of clothing (I am particularly impressed with the latter, since it was 33-feels-like-27 when I ran this morning!)

Days to go until the marathon: 165

Miles to go until 1000: 904.75

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No

Today's running music (I know that my posts are always about music, I think that's because it is the songs that play that get me to thinking about whatever it is I think about) was heavy on the country.  I don't know if my ipod is heavy on country, or if it was just a country day.  Anyway, people always think "of course you listen to country, you're from Montana", but the truth is, I didn't start listening to country music until I was 16.  I think it was my friend Jessie who got me into it.  I listened to country almost exclusively until sometime after college.  Around the time in 2003 when that whole Dixie Chicks (who are my favorite favorite group, and I am pretty convinced they would want to be best friends with me if they ever met me) thing happened, I noticed that I didn't really care that much for country music anymore.  It seemed that either I'd gotten too liberal, or it had gotten too conservative, or both, for me.  I still flip to a country station now and then, but couldn't really tell you any new songs.  (To be honest, I couldn't really name that many new songs of any genre.  This is because I mostly only listen to NPR, and [speaking of which] I heard a story on NPR once that talked about how people generally stop listening to new music after college; it was after college that I started listening to NPR so this is true for me.)  But, I do still love 90's country.  So I run to it, especially today.  And in some way it is fitting because I am back in my home town, and country music was the soundtrack to much of my growing up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment