This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Thursday, April 21, 2011

4/21/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 30 minute run
I actually did:  46:40 minutes/3.94 miles*
*4.565 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1/8 extra mile for darkness and 1/2 extra mile for sweating through 2 layers of clothes

Days to go until the marathon: 157

Miles to go until 1000: 886.55

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: Yes! (It made me smile to think I'd finally get to write "yes" here.)

Today's run started out with what I think is the best running song ever: "Lose Yourself" by Eminem.  Unfortunately, that did not foretell a great run, because I felt stiff and sluggish throughout the run; if I needed convincing that I shouldn't take a few days off from running anymore, this morning's run did it.  Hopefully that means tomorrow will be better.

For most of the run today, I thought about what I've thought about for most of this week; a good friend of mine lost her mom this week.  My heart hurts for her family, and it makes me feel helpless as a friend because she is hurting and there is nothing I can do to make it stop.  I don't like not being in control, although since becoming a parent (and subsequently realizing there is really very little over which I actually do have control), I have gotten better and just going with the flow, rather than directing it.  But now I wish I could somehow direct my friend out of her pain.  Instead, I've just let her know that I love her and am here for her, I guess that's all I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment