This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Sunday, April 17, 2011

4/17/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 9 miles

I actually did:  9.21 miles*
*10.21 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1 extra mile for my uphill portions

Days to go until the marathon: 161

Miles to go until 1000: 890.49

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No (But the following songs played for the second time in the last 2-3 runs: Nick Lachey "Shut Up", Will Smith "Men in Black", Pat Benetar "Heartbreaker", Fountains of Wayne "Stacy's Mom".)

Today's run had me thinking a lot about my trip to Thailand in November-December 2005.  I was there for 5 weeks for a medical school rotation and vacation, and I went with my friends Heidi and Janae.  I thought about it because 2 songs played that always remind me of the trip: "One Night in Bangkok" (for obvious reasons) and "Hypnotize" by Notorious BIG (because every time we saw a Buddha statue, which was like every 15 minutes, Janae would say "Buddha Buddha Buddha" which reminded me of the part in that song when they say "Biggie, Biggie, Biggie, can't you see . . .").  The trip was amazing and I would love to go back someday.  It is raining here today, so lying on the beach in Koh Phi Phi sounds pretty wonderful about now.

Good news on the injury front: my leg/hip didn't hurt at all on my run.  It did hurt on my walk breaks, and started hurting when I got home, but it didn't hurt while I was running.  I followed the advice I would give to a patient, and I iced it as soon as I got home. 

Also, I think I have crossed the final threshold into the "running geek" world . . . today was the first run during which I used my belt water bottles.  The belt design is WAY better than the handhelds I have used, which always spill water all over me.  This is the one I have: http://www.fuelbelt.com/s.nl/sc.8/.f, and it was a Christmas present from my mother-in-law.  I'm seeing her for dinner tonight, I'll definitely have to thank her!!



1 comment:

  1. Finally catching up on the blog! I hope you enjoy Nick Lachey's "Shut Up". It took me a couple listens, but after that whenever I hear it on my ipod, it is stuck in my head the rest of the day! Even now, it is starting to get stuck in my head. Then I try to remember if SoulO was during his marriage to Jessica Simpson or if that was his post-divorce CD. Jeff says A.D., but I think he is wrong and that was his first post-98 degrees CD. I would google for the answer, but I don't want to know if I am wrong. So stubborn!

    ReplyDelete