This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Friday, April 1, 2011

3/30/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 50 minute run

I actually did: 49:05 minutes/4.12 miles*

*4.245 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1/8 extra miles for darkness

Days to go until the marathon: 177

Miles to go until 1000: 937.58

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No

Today's run found me thinking a lot about -- and missing -- Oregon.  This is not something new, I miss Portland on a daily basis and have ever since I moved from there back to my hometown last fall.  Which is not to say I regret the move, I definitely think this is the right place for my family to be right now, I just really love Portland.  And this morning's run reminded me of one of the reasons why.  Today is garbage day in my neighborhood, and one of my neighbors had his garbage can out front with a big cardboard box in it.  Which made me really sad -- cardboard should be recycled!  Only recycling here is kind of hard.  In Portland, we had these giant, wonderful recycyling cans called co-minglers.  They were bigger than our garbage cans, and you could just throw all of your recyclables, except glass, in them, and they got picked up with the trash.  It was wonderful.  Here, you have to either hire a private service to come and pick up your recycling every other week -- which you have to separate yourself and they have all these rules about what they will and won't take, for example only corrugated cardboard, not cereal boxes or any other kind.  OR, you have to store it at your house and take it down to the recycling center when your bins get full.  We do the latter, so that we can recycle everything (except glass, they won't take that at the recycling center; luckily my parents pay for the pick up service, who take glass and then send it somewhere else where they do recycle it, so we just take our glass up there to get picked up).  Not recycling is not really an option for me -- I mean, I drive a Prius and I use cloth diapers, for goodness' sake -- but I can see why not everyone would, it's hard.

A little later on the run, I noticed that it was lightly either raining or snowing, I'm not sure which.  I only knew that it was doing one of them because I could see the flakes/drops in the light of my headlamp.  Which reminded me of the night-time leg I ran of Hood to Coast.  Hood to Coast is probably the best thing I've ever done running, it was amazing.  I can't remember if I've already described it on here, but it's a 12-person, 197 mile relay race from Mt. Hood to Seaside, OR.  It took my team 30 or so hours to travel the distance, during which time we only slept a couple of hours, and loved every minute of it.  But during my night leg, which was in the middle of nowhere in Oregon, it was raining really lightly such that I didn't get wet, I could just see it in my headlamp.  It's one of my favorite memories of Hood to Coast.

I also realized today that I think (I hope) spring is finally, finally here.  I think this because 1) the calendar says it is spring (I'm really smart like that), 2) this morning it was 37 degrees when I went out for a run, and I had to take my gloves off a couple of miles in because I got too hot, and 3) I actually ran into other exercisers (a guy walking his dog, and a couple going for a walk), that is the first time this has happened during one of my early morning runs.  It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment