This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Monday, March 28, 2011

3/27/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 6 miles

I actually did: 6.12 miles*

*7.12 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1/4 extra mile per 1/2 mile traveled up hill and 1/2 extra mile for temperature less than 20.  Technically it was 27, but "felt like" 18.  I checked with Aubree who said that counts. (This run felt really hard, so I wanted as many bonus miles as I could get!)

Days to go until the marathon: 180

Miles to go until 1000: 942.62

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No

On today's run, I thought a lot about mom guilt and actually questioned whether I should really be training for a marathon.  There is no question that I am a happier person when I run, and that I run on a more regular basis, at least right now when I'm not getting uninterrupted sleep at night ever, when I have a training schedule to follow.  So in that regard, I think that my running benefits my family.  But on the other hand, for the forseeable future, I will be away from home for at least an hour every Sunday morning.  Which may not be a huge deal, except that I am already away from home for 10 or so hours Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and 5+ hours on Tuesday.  I am really lucky that my husband stays home with my son so at least I know he is under the care of someone who loves him as much as I do.  And I know that it is because I work that 1) my husband is able to stay home, and 2) we are able to eat, so I shouldn't feel guilty about going to work every day, but I do.  And then I add Sunday mornings away from home on top of it?  Today in particular, I ran while my husband fed my son breakfast, which usually I do on the weekends.  I don't think I should stop running (in addition to making me happier, I'm hoping it will inspire my son to be active -- although I don't know if there are many races for the <1 year old set), so I guess I'm hoping maybe I can stop feeling guilty about it . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment