This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

3/1/2011

Training schedule says I will do: N/A

I actually did: 0.87 miles walking* + Melt It Off cardio burn & sculpt and sizzlin' abs, 50 minutes (= 4 miles towards 1000 mile goal)

*If I use Aubree's bonus system, I walked 2.87 miles.  I get 1 extra mile for walking when I didn't intend to be (this morning my garage door was frozen shut, so I walked part way to work before I could get a hold of my mom to come pick me up) and I am giving myself 1 extra mile for the weather.  Technically per the official bonus mileage system guide, I only get 1/2 mile extra for a temperature less than 20 degrees.  But this morning when I was walking, it was 1 degree, and -19 with the windchill factor, so I decided that I should get an extra 1/2 mile for 20 to 0 degrees, and another 1/2 mile for 0 to -20 degrees.  I'm sure Aubree won't mind.

Days to go until the marathon: 206

Miles to go until 1000: 978.82 (I did not count any of the walking toward the 1000 mile goal)

Melt It Off is a workout video system created by Mitch Gaylord.  I discovered these videos on an infomercial.  I can be persuaded to buy just about anything from an infomercial, so I actually had to make myself stop buying workout videos from them (I think every workout video I own was purchased from an infomerical), but this one I got as a Christmas gift which I think is an acceptable loophole.

I have had a special place in my heart for Mitch Gaylord since the 1984 summer Olympics, during which he was on the men's gymnastics team.  These were the first Olympics I remember, and I fell in love with them watching them that summer.  I still LOVE the Olympics, thanks to Mitch and team.


The workout was broken into legs, arms, and then I did the additional ab workout.  The legs part was pretty tough . . . lots of lunges and squats and I think will be good for knee strength for running.  The arms part wasn't too bad.  I'll wait until tomorrow to see if I'm sore before I pass any final judgment.  The ab workout was KILLER.  I really struggled with it, and realized about halfway through that it was the first time I'd really done an ab workout since my c-section.  I am out of shape!  Luckily, I employed the Christmas gift loophole to also get the Bender Ball video for Christmas, so hopefully between these two, and all the other infomercial-propagated ab workouts I own, I can toughen up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment