This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Saturday, February 26, 2011

2/26/2011

Training schedule says I will do: N/A

I actually did: 1.98 miles*
 
* If I use Aubree's bonus mile system, I did 2.23 miles.  I did the same short distance I did last week, and it was much warmer this week (in the 20s), but the majority of the sidewalks on which I ran were unshoveled, and there was enough snow such that my footing wasn't entirely stable on the run.  I think that gets me an extra 0.25, even if Aubree has not yet accepted my "running in snow" addendum to her bonus mileage system.

Days to go until the marathon: 209

Miles to go until 1000: 982.82

Two Aerosmith songs played on my run today, and this got to me to thinking about 2 things:

1.  I can't really remember why; something about some stories about him feuding with the rest of Aerosmith, or maybe just Joe Perry, but I have sort of thought of Steven Tyler as a jerk.  But I've seen him on American Idol a few times this year, and he's kind of a big teddy bear (or at least he plays on tv), and not a jerk at all!


2.  I always think it is weird when my ipod shuffles to 2 songs by the same artist during a short run.  It seems like it happens often, and it seems like it happens with hair metal bands often -- Aerosmith today, Bon Jovi last week.  Ok, Aerosmith and Bon Jovi would probably resent the hair metal band label, since both have had success in their careers beyond the years in which hair metal ruled the airwaves.  But I came to know both of these bands in the late 80s, the same time I came to know Poison and Warrant and Def Leppard, bands that are indisputably hair metal.  All of these bands got playtime on 1-800-Dial-MTV which I watched every day after school in 5th and 6th grade with my friend Tara, so they are all hair metal in my mind.  But I digress.  I should take a look at the contents of my ipod shuffle to see if hair metal is over-represented and that's why it plays so frequently.  Or maybe my ipod just really liked the late 80s too.

No comments:

Post a Comment