This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Saturday, February 12, 2011

2/12/2011


Training schedule says I will do: N/A

I actually did: 3.84 miles* + 0.5 miles of walking.  This is the longest run I’ve done since Russell was born.  But before anyone gets too impressed, you should know that 1) I probably walked 20% of my “running” distance, and 2) I had a goal in mind: I ran to this super yummy bakery to buy breakfast food.  Once there I was rewarded with a free slice of chocolate raspberry bread (it tasted as good as it sounds), plus I got to buy a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread straight out of the oven, and a loaf of pumpkin chocolate chip bread for ½ off.  I had planned to walk home, but had to run so the bread would still be warm when I got there!

*If I employ my best friend Aubree’s bonus mileage system, in which you get extra miles for running in inclement weather or other challenging conditions, I ran 4.84 miles.  This is because we decided I get to add 0.25 miles to my total for each 10 lbs of baby + jogging stroller.  The stroller weighs 23 lbs and Russell is about 17.

Days to go until the marathon: 223

Miles to go until 1000: 988.77

Most thought provoking song that played on my ipod: It’s a tie between Bon Jovi’s “Captain Crash and the Beauty Queen from Mars” and Britney Spears’ “Slave 4 U”.

“Captain Crash” is a song about a kind of misfit couple, and at the end they mention some other famous couples: Sid and Nancy, Fred and Nancy, Clyde and Bonnie, Liz and Richard, Kurt and Courtney, Bacall and Bogie, Joltin’ Joe and Miss Monroe.  The Richard sounds like “Richie” and always makes me think of Richie Sambora, which makes me think of Richie Sambora and Heather Locklear.  And it turns out I am still upset about them breaking up.  Who knew?

“Slave 4 U” got me to thinking about Britney Spears in general and how I wonder whether her new song is good, and how I hope she is really on the road to recovery.  I also started thinking how that song might be a fun one to sing at karaoke, but ultimately decided it wouldn’t be, because there is a lot of non-singing in the song, and I am comfortable singing, but I don’t like non-singing in my karaoke songs!

2 comments:

  1. I downloaded the new Britney Spears song, but I have to admit I haven't actually listened to all of it yet. I'm sure it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your friend's bonus system! I always feel like I deserve a couple extra miles in the journal when I run with the double-stroller. My 2 kids alone weigh 90lbs without the stroller! It's a workout!

    Songs... isn't it the funniest thing what we start thinking about while on a run!??! Interesting.

    ReplyDelete