This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Sunday, March 20, 2011

3/20/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 5 miles

I actually did: 4.94 miles*

*5.44 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1/4 extra mile per 1/2 mile traveled up hill; I ran uphill for 1 mile

Days to go until the marathon: 187

Miles to go until 1000: 955.64

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No (the Chili Peppers stats now stand at 25%.  This means one of two things.  Either I grossly overestimated how often they play when I run, or my ipod is exhibiting a Hawthorne effect, a phenomenon in which when a behavior is being studied, that behavior changes simply because it is being studied.  I personally think it is the latter.)

I have already commented on how I think my ipod makes little jokes or points by the songs that it chooses and the order in which it chooses them.  Like today, it played "Dance, Dance" and then "Dancing Queen", which made me smile.  But then later, it played "Magic Man" by Heart.  This song always reminds of my friend Heidi, who is one of my best friends from medical school, and a fellow karaoke enthusiast.  This is one of her favorites to sing, and she does a great job at it.  What you need to know about Heidi is she is a performer, she may not be the best singer up there (which is not to say she's bad, she definitely has a nice voice), but she totally owns her songs.  I was thinking in particular today about the first time she sang this song, and came upon the 48 measure musical break near the end.  48 measures!  That is a lot.  People like me, who really like singing but feel like a fool when there are no words to sing, absolutely dread even a 4 measure musical break.  But not Heidi, she can handle a musical break like it's nothing.  But that first time, the 48 measures were a little long even for her.  She filled it with grace, dancing around and at one point even started swinging the microphone which got her into trouble from the KJ.  Remembering this made me almost laugh out loud while running, and definitely made me miss Heidi.

The very next song that played was Sugar Ray "Every Morning", which reminds me of my friend Janae, another of my best friends from medical school (Heidi, Janae and I called each other Virchow's triad, which is funny if you are a medicine dork like we are).  Janae only sings karaoke if she is in a foreign country or in my living room, which is where she sang "Every Morning".  No microphone swinging for her, but she sang it in the context of playing Karaoke Revolution in which her avatar ("Cherry") totally owned the stage.

How nice of my ipod to make me think of two wonderful friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment