This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Sunday, March 20, 2011

3/16/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 40 minute run

I actually did: 43:30 minutes/3.72 miles*

*3.845 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1/8 extra mile for running in the dark

Days to go until the marathon: 191

Miles to go until 1000: 960.58

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No 
During today's run, I spent my time thinking about one very specific way in which my life has changed since becoming a mother.  Of course, the ways in which my life have changed could fill a book, but today I was thinking particularly about how my tv viewing has changed.  For an ordinary person, this might not matter much, but I have always been something of a tv idiot savant.  Seriously, I knew information about the plots of tv shows I'd never seen (this is partially because I used to faithfully read an online column by the TV Gal, but I had to break up with her several years ago because she not once but twice printed in her column word for word  something I had said in an email to her without attributing it to me; which wouldn't be a big deal except she was constantly saying things like "TV Gal reader Kevin says . . .", so it wouldn't have killed her to give me a little TV Gal love).  But now, I am at best a casual viewer which is a little disconcerting.

I started thinking about this because the song "Don't You Want Me" played on my ipod, and it reminded me of the episode of Glee where Rachel and Kurt's boyfriend (Blaine?  The fact that I can't remember his name right now pretty much proves my point) sang that song.  Which got me to thinking about Glee.  I really enjoy that show, but I watch it when I can and I can't honestly say that I spend much time thinking about the show when I'm not watching it (except, apparently, when I run).  Contrast this to Jessica of the past.  I can think of two very specific examples when I could barely contain my excitement over a show that was going to be on that night.  The first was in 2000, the season 3 finale of Dawson's Creek when Joey was going to choose between Dawson and Pacey.  The second was in 2004, the episode before the season 1 finale of Veronica Mars when we were going to learn who killed Lily.  (I won't give away the answers, just in case anyone reading this hasn't yet gotten to these episodes yet!)  I very distinctly remember spending a good amount of time on each of those days thinking about those shows and looking forward to them.

Now, I not only can't think of a recent time I have anticipated a tv show (maybe a Lost season premiere a couple years ago, which isn't really that recent), but I also watch and know so much less about tv.  I can only partially blame this on my son, even though he is definitely the reason I watch less tv.  But I don't think he's the reason I don't anticipate tv anymore (although I guess you could make the argument that I now know what's really important in life, and a love triangle between fictitious verbose teens isn't on the list), I think the blame for this falls to my DVR.  Don't get my wrong.  I love my DVR.  It revolutionized my life.  But now I don't have to watch a show when it is on, and therefore spend all day anticipating it; I can watch it whenever I want which makes each episode a little less special.  AND, I don't watch commercials anymore, which I think is where some of the knowledge in my idiot savant days was acquired.  

I suppose what all this really means is that I'm a *gulp* grown up.  Damn it!

1 comment:

  1. It cracked me up that you didn't want to give away the endings of Dawson's Creek and Veronica Mars. Those were both very good episodes and certainly worth the anticipation.
    I just got updated reading your latest blog entries and even though I don't know your ipod, I am going to agree that there is a Hawthorne Effect happening with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I know my ipod and I'm sure it would do that if I tried to conduct a statistical study.

    ReplyDelete