This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Sunday, May 8, 2011

5/8/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 10 miles

I actually did:  10.16 miles*

*11.16 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1 extra mile for traveling uphill for 2 miles

Days to go until the marathon: 140

Miles to go until 1000: 842.36

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No

Today's run was HARD.  I blame it on the Women's Run yesterday.  Not only did I run much faster than my usual training pace, but I didn't stretch after the race (bad me, I know), and I walked about a mile backwards on the course to find my mom, who was walking, and then walked that last mile again with her.  You'd think that walking and running wouldn't be that different, but I find that walking long distances makes my hips hurt in a way that running never does.  When I got pregnant, I was registered to run a 1/2 marathon but my husband was super freaked out about me running pregnant.  Even though, you know, I'm a doctor, and I knew it was fine for me to keep up my pre-pregnancy workout routine, I thought it was cute how concerned he was so I agreed not to run more than 2 miles (at a time, which is what an older version of What to Expect When You're Expecting recommended) during my first trimester.  So I started doing long walks to prepare to walk the 1/2 marathon with my best friend (who walks several 1/2 marathons a year and, I'm not even kidding, can walk almost as fast as I can run) when I was 8 weeks pregnant.  My best friend was kind enough to walk slowly with me during the race.  Anyway, I found that my hips got really sore during my long walks.  Well, sure enough, my hips were really sore today and I felt them the whole run.  I am really looking forward to yoga tomorrow morning to get a good stretch!

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, not even one rest day? No kidding, I've always said when I can't run I'll just walk, but you really need to have the hips for it. Kristy just told me her doctor said she should never do it because of her knees. Anyhoo, super HUGE kudos on doing 10 the day after 5, now rest means grabbing a baby (preferably yours) sitting and elevating those feet. And thanks for the suggestion, I am taking a couple of weeks off before training for the full, and am definitely going to do some yoga.

    ReplyDelete