This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Sunday, May 22, 2011

5/22/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 12 miles
 
I actually did:   5.61 miles*

* 8.36 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1/4 mile for running in the rain, 1 mile for running with a cold, 1 mile for running uphill for a total of 2 miles, 1/4 mile for my socks getting soaked (from running on wet grass) and 1/4 mile for sweating through 1 layer of clothing.  I think that's the most bonus miles I've ever accumulated.  I also just noticed that I'm supposed to get 1/2 extra mile for every distance above 10 miles, which I haven't been giving myself. 
 
Days to go until the marathon: 126

Miles to go until 1000: 819.36
 
I told myself when I went out for this run that I would just go as far as I felt I could, since I'm still not 100% from my cold (this cold actually made me miss a day of work this week, which if you know me, you know I don't call in sick lightly).  I started to feel lightheaded at around mile 2, so I decided to start heading home, although took somewhat of a circuitous route so that I'd have at least a little more distance.  I started to feel better around mile 4, but decided to keep heading home so I didn't make myself more sick.
I spent a lot of this run thinking about that guy who predicted the rapture would happen yesterday.  I wonder how he is feeling today.  I would imagine he is embarrassed (although I read that he has once before incorrectly predicted the rapture, so maybe this is nothing new), but mostly I was wondering if the fact that nothing happened yesterday has shaken his faith.  Putting aside my thoughts on religion and whether I think the Bible is meant to be taken literally (I won't get into those here, at least not today), I have definitely seen first hand the comfort religion can provide to people.  So I hope that, if his faith provides him comfort, he still has it.  And if this makes him reevaluate his faith, well, I hope he finds peace wherever he lands from his reevaluation.  


No comments:

Post a Comment