This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5/3/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 55 minute run

I actually did:  48:45 minutes/4.24 miles*

*5.74 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1 mile for the jogging stroller and 1/2 mile for the wind (my poor son in the jogging stroller probably felt like we should be getting more than 1/2 mile for the wind!!) 

I know, I didn't do the full 55 minutes, I decided to turn around a little early because my son was doing such a great job in the stroller, I didn't want to tempt fate.  I'm glad I did, because he sobbed for the last half mile.

Days to go until the marathon: 145

Miles to go until 1000: 861.07

Red Hot Chili Peppers song played during the run: No

Today I had a playdate with an old friend and her son who is a few weeks older than mine.  Like me, my friend recently moved back to our hometown after spending many years in a large city.  So I spent a lot of my run thinking about this.  She and I both feel that our hometown is very much the same and also very different than when we last lived here together (in high school), and I can't help but wonder if the difference is really the town, or us.  I know I have mentioned here many times how much I miss Portland, and that is because I very much felt at home there, I felt like I was always a Portlander and just didn't know it until I moved there.  And I think that's how my friend felt about her adopted city, too.  So it's been a bit of a struggle to adjust to a place that is politically more red than blue, where people don't recycle, where my family is the only weird one who uses cloth diapers and feeds our son homemade, organic baby food, and where we are the only ones we know who root for the Trailblazers.  As I have said before, I do think this is the right place for my family to be, because my son getting to grow up around his grandparents is huge.  And I have to think that if I could be raised a Portlander in Billings, MT, my son can be too (especially since my husband and I plan to get back to Portland every chance we can get).

No comments:

Post a Comment