This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

5/24/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 45 minute run
 
I actually did:   43:51 minutes/3.94 miles*

* 5.19 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting 1/4 mile for running in the rain and 1 mile for my shirt, pants, sports bra, and socks getting soaked through.  It was WET on this run!
 
Days to go until the marathon: 124

Miles to go until 1000: 815.42
 
The first song that played today was "Name" by the Goo Goo Dolls.  I always love the line in that song that says "reruns all become our history."  As I've mentioned before, I used to be quite the tv watcher, and although I have watched less and less over the last few years, I do still think that is kind of true.  I started thinking about that today, which got to me thinking about the show Friends.  I think that if I was ever asked what my all time favorite tv show was, I'd have to say Friends.  That is not to say I think Friends is the best show ever (that would be Sports Night, followed closely by the Aaron Sorkin years of the West Wing and Friday Night Lights), or the show to which I looked forward the most (that would be 90210 in the late 90s and Veronica Mars in the mid-2000s with honorable mention going to Gilmore Girls), or even the show I thought was the funniest (that might be Modern Family).  And I do think that by the end of it's run, the characters on Friends were just caricatures of who they had been in the first season.  But Friends started my senior year of high school and ended my second year of medical school.  I did a lot of growing up in those intervening years, and I feel like Friends was always there with me.  To this day, I can watch a rerun in syndication and still laugh out loud.  And often I can remember where I was when I first watched the episode.  I remember watching in the basement of my sorority house surrounded by friends, or watching with my family when I was in high school or home for the summer, or watching with my now husband when we were early in our relationship.  And since tv now has a different place in my life than it once did, it might be fair to say no other show will ever have the impact of Friends.  So in that sense, the reruns really are my history.  So wise, Goo Goo Dolls. 

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I hear a GooGoo Dolls song or everytime I saw they were scheduled to play at the Emerald Queen, I have a good laugh thinking of those ladies at the concert in DC and how that was the ONLY band they were excited to see.

    ReplyDelete