This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Thursday, June 30, 2011

6/26/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 15.5 miles

I actually did:   13.79 miles*
 
*18.915 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage System, getting an extra 1.5 miles for working all weekend before running (not actually in the bonus system, but Aubree-approved), 2.5 miles for running uphill for a total of 5 miles, 0.5 miles for sweating through sports bra and shirt, 0.125 miles for darkness, and 0.5 miles for traveling more than 10 miles.  That's a lot of bonus miles!
 
Days to go until the marathon: 91

Miles to go until 1000: 739.6

Ok, this run kind of sucked.  To be specific, the first 9 miles were fine.  The rest sucked.  This weekend was a little crazy in that I was working at the hospital.  I worked 12 hours each on Saturday and Sunday, and started my run after getting home from work Sunday night.  So, I was fairly tired from working but determined to do my long run this weekend because I didn't get it in last weekend due to a patient in labor.  The first 9 miles were fine, and then it all went downhill.  Every inch of my lower half started to hurt, including my calves which completely cramped up (which was new for me).  By the time I got near home, it was clear that I had miscalculated my distance and would not be doing 15.5 miles, but it was 10:15 (by which time I am usually in bed), dark, and I was hungry and in pain.  So I just went home.

This run was fairly discouraging because it was so hard, and I once again started to doubt whether I could run a full marathon.  But since then I have thought about it, and talked to friends, and here are the lessons I have learned:

1.  Don't run more than 9 miles after working a 12-hour day.  This one really should've been obvious to me.
2.  Don't wait until 2 hours into a run to start drinking Gatorade.  Again, probably should've been obvious.
3.  Don't run at dinner time in the summer, unless you have recently eaten.  The smell of others' barbecues will make you hungry.
4.  Perhaps even the kick-ass music on my ipod is not enough to keep me distracted and interested on such long runs.  (I have since downloaded podcasts of Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me for my next long run.)
5.  Maybe it is time for new running shoes.  (I ended up getting new shoes 2 days later.)

I am determined not to give up on running this stupid marathon and I am hoping my new shoes will propel me through the next long ru

No comments:

Post a Comment