This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Sunday, August 28, 2011

8/27/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 21 miles

I actually did:  21.78 miles*


*27.925 miles using Aubree's Bonus Mileage system, getting 4.5 miles for running uphill for 9 miles, 1 mile for soaking through 4 layers, .125 miles for running in the dark (technically only part of the run was in the dark, but still), and 0.5 miles for running more than 10 miles.
Days to go until the marathon: 29

Miles to go until 1000: 587.56


Can I get a "woot woot" for surviving today's run?  It surprisingly wasn't even that bad.  I think there are a couple of reasons for this:
1) I changed up my route a bit; usually, I end running on bike trails, and usually the end of my runs suck.  I think this is most likely because they are the end of long runs, and it is usually hot by the time I'm done.  But I started to think that maybe it is because I'm running on trails that aren't often interrupted by streets, driveways, etc.  Nice most of the time, but I think at the end of a run when I'm mentally fatigued, it's nice to say, "just run fast to the next driveway", and then be able to do it.  But on the trails, the next intersection is often half a mile away, so it seems forever.  So today I started out on the trails, and ended on the city streets that are normally the beginning. 
2) I was super worried about running out of water on this run, so I asked a friend whose house is approximately 2/3 of the way through my route if I could stop and refill my water bottles.  So I did, but I also chatted with her for about 15 minutes and therefore got a little rest.


Most likely, the reason this run didn't suck was the rest I got at my friend's house, and that may not bode well for the marathon as I probably won't stop to chat with anyone during it.  But nevertheless, I felt good about the run, and at the end, I even felt -- dare I say it -- that I could've run another 4.5 miles.  


Hopefully this means I am ready for the marathon.  It's less than a month away, and all my long runs are now actually kind of short (10, 8, 6 miles) as I taper.  


So again, can I get a "woot woot"?

1 comment:

  1. Double woot woot! That is a long run and tons of bonus miles. I'll find places to cheer along the marathon route, you're welcome to stop and chat if you want :).

    ReplyDelete