This is my attempt to get back into pre-baby shape and ring in the big 3-5 with a bang, or rather with 26.2 miles. Just as training for my first half marathon taught me a lot about myself (for example, it taught me that not only was I capable of running 13.1 miles in a row, but that I love doing it), I'm sure this experience will be as educational as it will be challenging. Thanks for sharing in my journey with me . . .

Sunday, August 28, 2011

8/23/2011

Training schedule says I will do: 35 minute run

 

I actually did:  42:32 minutes/3.98 miles

Days to go until the marathon: 33


Miles to go until 1000:612.84


On today's run, I spent a lot of time thinking about the way I smell.  Not the way I smell all the time, but the way I smell when I'm running.  This is not something I have ever considered before, but on my long run on Sunday (which was "only" 10 miles -- which is a phrase I would've thought was ridiculous to say when I started running again last March -- but was wonderful and again made me wonder why I thought running 26 miles in a row was a good idea when running a reasonable distance like 13 is so pleasant.  Although my friend Tryna, a marathon veteran, said to me that 10 miles only felt easy because I am ready for my 21 miles this coming weekend, so we'll see), I passed another runner.  And he stank.  To be fair, he smelled like sweat.  And he was running, and it was sunny and probably 70 or so degrees, so he had very good reasons for smelling like sweat.  I have written before about the fact that I usually feel a camaraderie towards other runners, but my initial reaction was "gross, he stinks".  I immediately felt ashamed, and then felt camaraderie towards him, probably a little too much camaraderie, as I was over-compensating for my initial bad thoughts.  I didn't think much about it until this morning, when I passed another runner (who, as far as I could tell, did not stink), and I immediately felt self conscious.  Did I stink?  Probably.  It wasn't super hot, as it was before 5 am, but I was nearing the end of my run when I passed him and definitely was sweating.  And I don't usually wear antiperspirant when I run, because I kind of figure what's the point.  I'm going to sweat regardless of it, and I'm going to shower afterwards before I go to work, so why waste it.  But maybe it's not a waste if I make myself less offensive to other runners, if only for the second or so we are within smelling distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment